Our e-newsletter is designed to keep you appraised of the work FOFA is doing to showcase, support and celebrate Oaxacan Artesanos, to announce our educational and fundraising events and to introduce you to the various members of our community who make this all possible. To learn more about our mission, please visit our website at http://www.fofa.us/about/mission
Below please find links to some of our past issues. Feel free to browse and if you are interested Join Our Mailing List. We hope you too, will join our exciting community!
Click on any link to view a copy of that issue
- FOFA/MEAPO's 5th Contest for Young Artists (5/11/2018)
The campaign to announce FOFA's 5th contest for young folk artists in August 2018 is underway. We introduce the five esteemed individuals who have graciously agreed to volunteer as judges in our upcoming 2018 contest.
- A Folk Art Collective Grows in a Oaxacan Town (4/19/2018)
The traditional folk art culture of Oaxaca's pueblos is at risk. As master artists age and die, many in the next generation are responding to the lure of the promise of more stable work, outside of the arts world, and sometimes even beyond Oaxaca.
- FOFA Announces its 5th Contest for Young Folk Artists (3/14/2018)
We are excited to let you know that our fifth young folk artist competition will take place in Oaxaca in August!
- Announcing FOFA's New Website (2/12/2018)
We are pleased to announce the launch of FOFA's new website! It is full of resources for visitors to Oaxaca and folk art lovers everywhere.
- FOFA Founder Arden Rothstein Honored (12/14/2017)
Please join FOFA in congratulating our president, Arden Rothstein, PhD, for being presented the 2017 Van Deren Coke prize in Fort Worth, Texas, by the national folk art group Los Amigos de Arte Popular (LADAP).
- Oaxaca in Park Slope (11/21/2017)
FOFA's 10th Anniversary Celebration
- FOFA's 10th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION (9/27/2017)
With marimba, mezcal tasting, botanas, and folk art sale! Meet Oaxacan artist Francisco Hernández Pérez, collagist and jeweler.
- Celebrating 10 Years (8/12/2017)
FOFA's Support for Oaxacan Folk Artists
- FOFA's 10TH ANNIVERSARY! (4/21/2017)
Save-the-Date for our Celebratory Event in NYC: November 17th, 2017
- Oaxaca Woodcarver and Decorative Painter (2/17/2017)
Giovanni Melchor Ramos Influenced by Surrealism
- Honoring Our Roots, Exploring Our Dreams (12/19/2016)
Meet Jeweler Yesenia Yadira Salgado Téllez
- Textile Artist Recognized in Four FOFA Competitions Will Study In France! (10/5/2016)
Alberto Sánchez Martínez in 2016 Contest
- Honoring Our Roots, Exploring Our Dreams (9/6/2016)
Art competitions are occasions for delight, surprise, puzzlement, loud or suppressed cheers - and occasional sighs of disappointment.
- FOFA's Friend in Santa Ana, CA (4/8/2016)
FOFA is fortunate in its friends. Steve Thompson, California collector and gallerista, has made a splendid connection for young Oaxacan folk artists: at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, CA.
- FOFA Launches its 4th Contest (2/1/2016)
We are getting the news out - on radio spots, posters and postcards - in Oaxaca and a dozen surrounding craft pueblos: FOFA, in collaboration with the Oaxaca State Museum of Folk Art, is launching its 4th Contest for Young Folk Artists.
- When Artists Have Trouble Seeing - FOFA Offers Help (12/7/2015)
One group emphasized health issues that challenge the well-being of women whose crafts are visually challenging.
- New Skills for Oaxaca's Talented Young Folk Artists (5/20/2015)
Professionalism, as most artists know, isn't in the DNA. Professionalism is learned, slowly, often one skill at a time, and usually from a more advanced professional.
- Great Masters of Oaxacan Folk Art Event (2/18/2015)
Save the Date
- February 2015 Newsletter (2/10/2015)
Exciting Update on Two-Time FOFA Contest Winner in Ceramics
- November 2014 Newsletter (11/5/2014)
Making Some Dreams Come True
- July 2014 Newsletter (7/16/2014)
Honoring Maricela García
- June 2014 Newsletter (5/28/2014)
FOFA Received an Extraordinary Bequest
- April 2014 Newsletter (4/8/2014)
Young Artists in Search of Their Indigenous Roots
- February 2014 Newsletter (2/8/2014)
FOFA 2013-2014 Retrospective
- November 2013 Newsletter (11/11/2013)
The robust response to FOFA-MEAPO's Third Contest for Young Folk Artists - with its theme "Celebrating Mother Earth: Inspiration for Oaxaca's Folk Arts"
- October 2013 E-news (10/10/2013)
FOFA board members often take a personal interest in the young artists who submit work to bi-annual contests sponsored in collaboration with Museo Estatal de Arte Popular Oaxaca.
- September 2013 E-news (9/16/2013)
Young Folk Artists at MEAPO: A Personal View of FOFA's 2013 Contest by Doris Friedensohn
- July 2013 E-news (7/9/2013)
FOFA is proud to have developed an outstanding partnership with the State Museum of Popular Art of Oaxaca.
- June 2013 E-news (6/8/2013)
An Initiative Inspired by Ceramicist Carlomagno Pedro Martínez.
- May 2013 E-news (5/3/2013)
FOFA's Third Young Artists' Contest: Exciting Innovations Made Possible by our Generous Sponsors
- April 2013 E-news (4/5/2013)
Count me in! Oaxacan Artists and FOFA Board Member Collaborate on New Children's Book
- March 2013 E-newsletter (3/5/2013)
Meet Victor Javier Bustamante Herrera, A FOFA Artist
- February 2013 E-newsletter (2/8/2013)
Introducing FOFA'S 2013 Projects Made Possible by Your Generous Support
- December 2012 E-newsletter (12/20/2012)
Thanks and Holiday Greetings from FOFA
- October 2012 E-newsletter (10/9/2012)
FOFA'S Board of Directors Discusses Folk Artists' Needs with Oaxaca's Governor, Lic. Gabino Cué and His Staff
- September 2012 E-newsletter (9/14/2012)
FOFA'S ESTEEMED FRIEND AND SPIRITED SUPPORTER Carlos Manuel Sada Solana Consul General of Mexico in New York
- August 2012 E-newsletter (8/9/2012)
Folk Artists and Art: Emerging Trends
- June 2012 E-newsletter (6/20/2012)
FOFA Volunteers Teaching Artesanos English and Computer Skills